Monday, 9 August 2010

18th Century petticoat - progress

My petticoat to fit over my finished panniers is coming along nicely albeit slowly. I'm sewing it all by hand in methods as true to the 18th Century as my knowledge allows. This first picture shows off the colour of the fabric best. It's a soft gold and has a not so 18th century pattern on the front so i'm using the wrong side which is plain and has a nice shimmer.

I'm finishing all my inside raw edges with bias tape which is hard work but I love the way it looks and I think it's worth the effort.

To finish the raw waist edges which are visible on the outside of the petticoat I am using bias tape that I have cut from the fabric to give a cleaner look.

I still have a fair few more edges to finish by hand before I move on to sewing channels for the drawstrings.